In the 16th century a bellhouse with its bell provided assistance to wayfarers lost
in the dense wood or forest as it was then. The district became known as Bellfares
(in the manor of Bellhouse) and ultimately Belfairs.
It was designated a park status in 1923 when a golf course was built covering 102
acres. Three years later Belfairs golf club was formed and their clubhouse was named
Furzefield on account of all the furze which was so common in the area as it still
Belfairs Bowling Club was formed in 1929 and the original clubhouse was used as a
parks workers’ rest room and storage area. We believe Belfairs originated from Leigh
Bowls Club because in their first minutes book, Belfairs instructed their Match Secretary
to contact all the local clubs for fixtures, and Leigh was not mentioned.